Tuesday, January 22, 2013

F is for...

... the flu (unfortunately). Not the stomach flu bug from last year, but the achy, feverish, shoot-me-now flu. I have been getting the flu vaccine for over 10 years and have never in one of those years developed the flu. Until last night. My doctor told me this morning (as I'd heard on the news previously) that this year's vaccine was only 65% effective. There are two strains of flu that one can get, even if the poor soul got the vaccine. One of the strains will hit in a much weaker version if vaccinated. That's not the strain I got. My strain's symptoms (feeling like I've been hit repeatedly by a Mack truck, fever, chills, and cough) will *only* last 3-5 days - with Tamiflu - as opposed to the 7-10 days they'd last if I hadn't been vaccinated. I guess I should rejoice over that news, but I still wanted to be put out of my misery this morning. As a bonus, my youngest and my husband also have it. Just waiting for #1 & #2 to get it... So, while my Advil is working against the fever and aches, I thought I'd blog to pass the time.

Places to go that start with F:
*towns/cities in your area that begin with F
*factories (sometimes tours are available)
*fairgrounds (there's usually something going on; if not, just drive through them)
*fairs or festivals
*Family Fun Nights at the Ankeny pools ($8 for families up to four members)
*Family Museum in Bettendorf
*Famous Footwear
*Fareway (local grocery store chain)
*farm crawl in south central Iowa (or any farm)
*farmer's markets
*Field of Dreams (Dyersville)
*Finkbine Mansion on Grand Avenue
*fire stations
*Fleur Cinema
*Flowerama
*forests
*Franklin Library
*Famous Dave's BBQ
*Fazoli's
*Felix and Oscar's Restaurant
*Fong's Pizza
*Fuddrucker's

Things to do that begin with F:
*play flashlight tag or four square
*family nature programs through Polk County Conservation
*make Father's Day gifts
*trace or draw feet and/or fingers (using colors like fern, flax, forest green, and fuschia)
*find frogs or flowers outside
*catch fireflies (and then let them go)
*go to a fireworks show
*fishing
*host a family food fair for friends
*foosball
*football
*practice writing four and five
*Friday Fundays at the Des Moines Playhouse
*read books like "Fancy Nancy," "Fortune Cookies," "The Foot Book," or "The Friendly Beasts"
*watch movies starting with F (Finding Nemo, Firehouse Dog)
*listen to music (Ben Folds, fun., "Forgiveness," by Matthew West, "Fire Drill," "From Scratch," or "Fruit Jar," by Justin Roberts)
*watch TV shows like "Franklin" or "The Flintstones"
*playdates with Finn or Fred

Foods that start with F:
falafel
fajitas
fettucine
Fig Newtons
finger foods (this encompasses many children's favorites!)
fish
flapjacks
flat bread
focaccia
fortune cookies
French dip sandwiches
French dressing
French fries
French toast
fried green tomatoes (or fried anything, for that matter)
Frito Lay snacks
Froot Loops
Frosted Flakes
Frosties from Wendy's
frozen yogurt
fruits
fudge
Fuji apples

Favorite "F" Bible verses:
"For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I a your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10
"Even if he wrongs you seven times a day, and each time turns again and asks forgiveness, forgive him." Luke 17:4

We found F's to photograph in a fence and in a poster of the London tube lines.




Hope you are all feeling better than I am. Stay tuned for letter G!

*For those new to my blog, check out the beginnings of ABC Summers here.*

No comments:

Post a Comment