Sunday, July 6, 2014

Eating our Is

This was the week we began to slack off on our food ideas... Things got busy with getting ready for the movers to come pack us up and then we headed to my in-laws' for the 4th.

I did make one new recipe that started with an I. It was also a food that was new to us, and it was a hit! We made Irish Soda Bread; my children would all highly recommend it. They thought it tasted like biscuits. Here's the recipe (courtesy of allrecipes.com), for those of you who might like to try it:

Original recipe makes 1 1 1/2 pound loafChange Servings













Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and margarine. Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk and egg. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly. Form dough into a round and place on prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine melted butter with 1/4 cup buttermilk; brush loaf with this mixture. Use a sharp knife to cut an 'X' into the top of the loaf.
  3. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Check for doneness after 30 minutes. You may continue to brush the loaf with the butter mixture while it bakes.














For our I treat, we cheated and got Tropical Sno. I didn't feel like ice cream, which was the obvious choice... so we just got ice with flavored sugar poured over it. Mmmmm, sugar...

I don't think we had anything that started with an I on Thursday at the farm. See? I'm a slacker...

*For those new to my blog, check out the beginnings of ABC Summers here.*


No comments:

Post a Comment