Monday, August 4, 2014

Eating our Ps

As anyone can see, I have let go of some (or most) of the guidelines I set out for this edible ABC summer. Though it always makes me a little sad when things don't go as I've planned, I am practicing flexibility and it hasn't killed me yet.

Last week we did have a couple of P-themed days. I found it odd that the Fred Meyer grocery chain was advertising pumpkin pie when we went grocery shopping on Tuesday. The kids were excited to sample some pumpkin pie in the bakery section (I was surprised to see even picky Mr. B inhale his sample). THey begged me to buy a pie, but I declined. Wednesday night as I was thinking about what we could eat for P foods, I decided to go for it and make pumpkin pie.

I don't think I've ever eaten (or had any desire to eat) pumpkin pie in any month other than October or November. But, I went for it and made it for the first time (every Thanksgiving I make Pumpkin Walnut Cheesecake that is to die for, but have never made basic pumpkin pie). Before serving it up, I also made pasta and Parmesan garlic bread. Everyone was pretty pleased with this meal.

Friday night we planned to make homemade pizza. This normally includes whole wheat pizza dough I make in our bread machine, but we ran errands after my husband got off work and I forgot to get the machine going before we left home. Since it takes a couple hours, I knew we wouldn't have time to make it for dinner. So... our pepperoni and pineapple pizza was prepared on a Pillsbury pizza crust. ;) Not quite as tasty (or healthy), but the kids thought it was funny.

Bonus: the leftover pumpkin pie was consumed on the beach of the Pacific during our picnic lunch Saturday afternoon. That was another first for me: eating pumpkin pie at the ocean. Peculiar picnic indeed.

*For those new to my blog, check out the beginnings of ABC Summers here.*

No comments:

Post a Comment