Friday, May 15, 2015

All Things A

I am finally getting a letter accomplished! Here is the plan: for each letter of the alphabet, I will be posting a list of things to do or places to see here in the Pacific NW. I'll also be linking this post to my original list of ideas that begin with this letter. While I'm at it, I'll probably link you to the photos we've taken for this letter, too. Might as well include it all! :)

A Places/Activities in the Pac NW:
* aerial tram in downtown Portland (take the 4 minute ride up to OHSU)
* Airplay Cafe's Open Tike events (where children get the mics)
* Andy & Bax Sporting Goods (military surplus and gear for camping/backpacking... sounds boring, but they supposedly have some of the oddest products in town)
* Ape Caves (hike through lava tunnels - Take your lanterns and dress warmly... It's cold and wet down there!)
* apple tree farm tour... I don't have a specific farm in mind, but my kids thought it would be fun
*Art ala Carte (cute little "all you can make" art studios set up in old salad bars in Vancouver and Portland)
* art museums (we'll likely hit the Portland Art Museum, which was founded in 1892 and is the seventh oldest in the US)
* Ashland, OR, for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, which has performances February - November
* Astoria, OR (for the awesome Astoria-Megler bridge or just to check out the quaint town where part of The Goonies was filmed)
* Audubon Society of Portland (150 acres of nature preserve with 4 miles worth of hiking, bird-watching, and an interpretive center)

I love that the Dining Channel has an alphabetical listing of area restaurants on their website. Here are the A restaurants around Portland.

In addition to fun activities the kids and I do this summer, I am attempting to come up with a way to help us all think more of others... Last year I picked up the children's book, Bucket Filling from A to Z, by Carol McCloud and Caryn Butzke, since I am naturally drawn to ABC items. Some of the ideas in it are great, others are so-so. The A plan is to: Ask someone if you can help him/her with something.

My original A is for... ideas include places to go, things to do, foods to eat, Bible verses, and photos from my oldest's ABC photography summer. Photos of my daughter's ABC photography can be seen here. If you think of great ideas that I have ignored, please let me know!

As always, please feel free to share my blog and be sure to read the beginning of my ABC summer story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment